Comics about games!.....

Comics about games!.....
all damn week....

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Bits of Things 1: Labels,The West Wing, DADT, and Poll Reminder


Politics is mostly shit ('scuse me, "mud") slinging and corrupt, but nonetheless, it has been a subject I follow closely it plays a huge role in our lives (and I currently have too much free time....). Anyway, I'll make it clear now that many will label me liberal, which I do not blame them because many of my views on many subjects can be considered liberal-though that even happens to be the case in even the issues where I may have a conservative slant. But to be honest I do not give a crap about the labels, because most of the time they predefine people in arguments and that I do not like very much. Why? Because then when two people discuss/debate issues, most of the time they already formed their perspective on the person whom they are debating. In other words, labels influence people to form views and perspectives depending on thier label rather than truly analyzing claims and sides.

I could go on and on about that, but I got other things on my mind...like the West Wing tv show! Now I have stopped watching after midway of season 4, because the characters in the show seem to move a little more right than I supposed and some of the issues are minimal. I mean in the first three seasons they tacked on drugs (prison v rehab), racism, DADT (Don't Ask Don't Tell-to be explained below), national security, economics, the Census, etc... Then it went into classic tv melodrama route and I kind of got tired of the show; however, I have to say that the first 3 or so seasons was some of the tv I ever watched. And it really puts the issues into view in most cases. Such as on the Census, the argument was about averaging out people in a similar way done in surveys ( since not everyone returns the form). And as the episode went on I was kinda for the idea, but I also remembered that according to the constitution, it must be a count of everybody. The averaging out argument turned out to win....but not really. After the "formal" debate was done, behind closed doors, the person arguing for averaging out people noted that if the other side mentioned "Then we should just stop doing voting in elections and just average out the people based on their politcal party"(or something like that) then they would've won the debate. I was taken aback from this and never really realized that point. All I can say is...damn I love seasons 1-3 of the West Wing! :D

And come on now, you can't tell me that Martin Sheen....errr I mean Jedediah Bartlett wouldn't make a kick ass president! ->


But as for DADT, it is actually approaching the final (and toughest) stages of being repealed. Recently, a senate panel voted to repeal the rule-OHSUM(awesome for those who didn't understand what I just said...except for the RECCHER!!!!!!). For those who do not know, basically DADT forbids gays, lesbians, and bisexuals from serving in the military. They can serve buuuuut only as long the military doesn't find out they are gay. Key words: if they do not find out. So as far as I am concerned, if someone outs you, then the military will show you the door.

So what happens next? Actually, all that is left to be done is for the final Senate vote, Obama to sign the repeal and voila, the the toughest parts are finished. If he signs the repeal, it would take a couple of months for the Pentagon to end the review assessment. Then it is another 60 days until the repeal is instituted. Republicans threaten to filibuster (fancy senate term for "cock block") the defense bill if the DADT repeal amendment is still attached, but most likely they will not be able to hold the votes. I don't know much about the defense bill in general, but DADT amendment seems worth it to me.



On a final note: see that poll to the right. Yeah, that's right, your right. VOTE! The RECCHER leads but it's a slight margin! Will he maintain the lead or will underdog Barack Obama win the weekly poll? Who knows? But time is running out so again I say-VOTE!

No comments:

Post a Comment