Comics about games!.....

Comics about games!.....
all damn week....

Monday, June 7, 2010

Gay? So what?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/05/opinion/05blow.html?src=me&ref=general

In the NY Times there's an article about a recent Gallup poll which shows that attitudes towards gay relations has improved to the point which over 50% find such relations "morally acceptable." Now of course take note that it is just a poll. I know Gallup is supposed to be very reliable but I take polls and surveys with a grain of salt. To use the phrase Twain popularized, there's "lies, damn lies, and statistics."
So why even bother to take note of this poll and article. Because despite how I think polls aren't really all that factual, a couple of figures caught my attention.


In just 4 years that number from male respondents went from 39% to 53%. Also I didn't expect such a huge jump in the Men 18-49 category but voila- a twenty point jump. And according to the chart, men seem to be more tolerant, though I doubt this. Again, it is just a poll. And sadly, while the numbers have improved, they are still too low. I think it is important news but I hate how how so many similar articles -- even those written by gay people -- are so quick to praise heterosexuals for what should be common sense decency. I dunno, I'm guess I'm just an angry hetero. Hear me roar...


Edit: just to add, this following excerpt is from the article and it is very interesting! :0

" In fact, there is a growing body of research that supports the notion that homophobia in some men could be a reaction to their own homosexual impulses. Many heterosexual men see this, and they don’t want to be associated with it. It’s like being antigay is becoming the old gay. Not cool."

No comments:

Post a Comment